Change of Major Policy

The PSTAT Department is accepting all Change of Major applications online. Applications are open between Weeks 3 and Week 10 each quarter, with an additional application cycle over the summer.

  1. The Summer 2023 Change of Major cycle is now closed. The Fall 2023 Change of Major cycle will begin on Monday of Week 3, 10/16. Please check back then for an updated form link. This form is used if you would like to switch to a PSTAT major or pre-major, advance from a PSTAT pre-major to the full major, or add a PSTAT major as a double major (Actuarial Science BS and Statistics and Data Science BS/BA only).
  2. In order to complete the petition, you will need to upload the following items:
    • a copy of your unofficial transcript (can be found on GOLD)
    • a PDF of your proposed course schedule
    • a completed PSTAT Pre-Major Checklist form (note: if you are petitioning to switch to a pre-major, please designate which pre-major courses you have taken)
  3. Submissions will take the department 4-6 weeks to be reviewed. If your major change request is approved, you will be emailed an invitation to complete a Change of Major Petition via DocuSign for the major change you would like to make:

For the Winter 2023 Change of Major application cycle ONLY: 

If you have completed (or are currently enrolled in) ALL other pre-major and preparation for the major coursework, including CMPSC 8, you may apply to declare the full PSTAT major this quarter. Your acceptance to the full major will be conditional on the following:
  1. You must enroll in CMPSC 9 (or 16) this Spring quarter (or at your next earliest possible opportunity). 

  2. You must earn at least a C or higher in CMPSC 9 (or 16). If you do not pass the course with a C or higher, you will be expected to retake the course until you earn a C or higher. If you do not earn a C or higher after two attempts, you are at risk from being removed from the full PSTAT major. 

The PSTAT Department does not accept any Change of Major Petitions via email.

Submissions to the Google form above are reviewed on a rolling basis. It may take the department 4-6 weeks to review your submission. 

All pre-major and preparation for the major course grades must be finalized before the department is able to review your application. If you are enrolled in your last pre-major course (or second UCSB MATH course) at the time you apply, your application will be reviewed once grades are finalized at the end of the quarter.

Clearances for PSTAT courses are not provided for students in the process of changing their major.

Note: All petitions to switch into the Financial Math and Statistics majors must be sent to the Math department. Please see their website here for more information. 

PSTAT will not endorse any Change of Major Petitions until the following qualifications have been met:

  • Students declaring the Actuarial Science or Statistics and Data Science pre-major must have at least two MATH courses from UCSB on their transcript before they will be considered.
  • Students declaring the full Actuarial Science or Statistics and Data Science major must meet meet the following requirements:
    • Students must complete all pre-major courses with a 2.5 or higher UC grade-point average. All pre-major courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better.
    • Students are permitted to repeat up to a maximum of two pre-major courses. Only one repeat is allowed in each course. In the case of a letter grade below C, students must repeat the course at UCSB. 
    • Students must complete both CMPSC 8 and CMPSC 9 (or 16) with a grade of “C” or better in each course prior to declaring the full major. Grades in CMPSC 8 and CMPSC 9 (or 16) are excluded from the pre-major GPA, but will apply to the overall major GPA.
  • Students must show that they are able to pass the majority of their MATH or PSTAT courses from UCSB in one attempt. 
  • Students must demonstrate that they will be able to graduate within normative time.



Please then take any pre-major and preparation for the major coursework you have left to complete. Once you are enrolled in the last of your pre-major and preparation for the major courses, you are eligible to submit a petition to declare the full major. Submissions will not be reviewed until grades are received in all pre-major and preparation for the major courses. If you would like further clarification regarding your transfer coursework and what courses are needed to declare the full major, please contact an advisor at

Students that are struggling with math courses early on are strongly encouraged to pursue a major that is a better fit. The college advisors will work with you in finding appropriate alternatives. If you nonetheless still wish to pursue a PSTAT major, you may continue to attempt to take courses; once you have proven that you can regularly pass a UD PSTAT course in one attempt, you may reapply and be considered for the major. The department suggests you have at least two quarters of PSTAT courses passed within 1 attempt on your transcript before you apply. Please be aware that, as you will not be a major, you will not have priority registration and may find it difficult to enroll in required courses without going through the waitlist process.

If the College or the Department has requested that you submit a second Change of Major Petition due to a processing error with a previous petition, please submit the second petition to the Google form linked above.

If you have been advised by the college that you need to submit a Change of Major Petition as soon as possible, PSTAT will accept the petition so long as you have an email from a college advisor stating that you need the petition as soon as possible. If you speak with the advisor in person, please ask them to write an email to you stating you will need to submit a petition as quickly as possible, and you may turn in this printed email along with your petition to the front desk.