Actuarial Examination System CAS/SOA
The following is a comparison of UCSB Classes and SOA/CAS Actuarial Exams valid for F2016-17 academic year. Note that the actuarial curriculum is always under revision and is constantly updated. We will try to update our information as frequently as possible.
If you need information about the examinations, please contact the Undergraduate Program Advisor at email@example.com.
FOUR COMMON SOA/CAS EXAMS, ADMINISTERED BY SOA:
|First Exam||Corresponding UCSB Course(s)|
|SOA: Exam P (Probability)
CAS: Exam 1 (Probability)
|PSTAT 120AB (Mostly A)|
|SOA: Exam FM (Financial Mathematics)
CAS: Exam 2 (Financial Mathematics)
|PSTAT 171 (PSTAT 170 is helpful)|
|SOA: Exam MFE (Financial Mathematics)
CAS: Exam 3F (Models for Financial Mathematics)
|PSTAT 170 (PSTAT 176 is helpful)|
|SOA: Exam C (Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models)
CAS: Exam 4 (Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models)
|PSTAT 173, parts of PSTAT 120BC, 160AB (simulation). PSTAT 175 and 105 are helpful|
SOA EXAM MLC:
|Fifth SOA Exam|
|SOA: Exam MLC (Models for Life Contingencies)||PSTAT 172AB|
CAS EXAMS S and FIVE:
|CAS Exam S|
|CAS: Exam S (Statistics and Probabilistic Models)||PSTAT 160A, 173, 172A,
PSTAT 120BC, 127, 174
|CAS Exam 5|
|CAS: Exam 5 (Basic Techniques for Ratemaking and Estimating Claim Liabilities)||PSTAT 183|
Help with preparation for the Actuarial exams:
- enroll into PSTAT 182T, Tutorial in Actuarial Statistics,
- practice interactive online actuarial problems
- review excellent slides in preparation to "exam FM" and "exam MLC"
EXPECT THE FOLLOWING CHANGES IN THE SOA CURRICULUM:
- Some of the exam FM material will be moved to MFE allowing us to cover FM in on course PSTAT 171.
- Some of the stochastic calculus material will be moved from exam MFE to the fellowship exams.
- Applied Statistics VEE will be replaced by the Mathematical Statistics VEE.
- Account and Finance VEE will replace Corporate Finance VEE.
- A new exam and a project in predictive analytics is planned to include regression, time series and some data mining.