VEE are requirements that are sponsored by Society of Actuarial (SOA), Casualty Actuarial Society (CAS), and Canadian Institute of Actuaries (CIA).
As of July 1, 2018, SOA has three VEE requirements, while CAS has two:
VEE Economics is required for both SOA and CAS.
The requirement did not change. It includes 2 components: Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. To receive VEE credit, take the following courses at UCSB:
- Microeconomics: Econ 1 or Econ 10A or Econ 100B, passed with a letter grade B- or better; and
- Macroeconomics: Econ 2 or Econ 101, passed with a letter grade B- or better.
Note: only one course from each list is required to satisfy VEE in Economics requirement.
VEE in Accounting and Finance is required for both SOA and CAS. It replaces Corporate Finance requirement. New VEE includes 2 components: Accounting and Finance. To receive VEE credit, take the following courses at UCSB:
- Accounting: Econ 3A, passed with a letter grade B- or better; and
- Finance: Econ 134A, passed with a letter grade B- or better.
- VEE Corporate Finance has a cutoff date of 7/1/2019.
- Thus, if you passed Econ 134A (with B- or better) before 7/1/2019, Econ 3A is not required to satisfy VEE Accounting and Finance requirement. Credit can be claimed anytime in the future.
- VEE in Applied Statistics has a cutoff date of 7/1/2018.
- You earned Applied Statistics credit if you passed PSTAT 126 and PSTAT 174 or 274 with a letter grade B- or better before 7/1/2018.
- Applied Statistics credit earned prior to July 1, 2018 can be claimed at any time in the future, and such credit then becomes credit both the new Statistics for Risk Modeling (SRM) Exam and the new VEE Mathematical Statistics.
- Transfer courses passed with a letter grade B- or better may be used to satisfy VEE, if UCSB recognized these courses as equivalent to approved UCSB course and gave credit. For more information see https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/resources/edu-vee-applying-faq.aspx
- To apply for VEE credit, check requirements at https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/course-info/edu-vee-req.aspx
- AP Microeconomics and Macroeconomics exams passed with scores 4 or 5 are approved for VEE in Economics credit, see https://www.soa.org/education/exam-req/resources/edu-vee-applying-faq.aspx